- The Democratic National Committee (DNC) filed a complaint with the Federal Election Commission (FEC) on Friday over alleged violations of federal law by independent US presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr.1
- This comes amid claims that his super PAC, American Values 2024, has improperly coordinated with his campaign to collect signatures to get RFK Jr. on the November ballot in a dozen states, likely breaking federal law to comply with conflicting state requirements.2
- Super PACs can raise unlimited funds but cannot coordinate most of their spending with the campaign due to federal campaign finance laws. Meanwhile, some states require the candidate or their committee to be involved in the petition process.3
- In response to this complaint, Kennedy's campaign stressed that their signature-collecting system relies on volunteer groups all over the country and that no signatures have been received from American Values 2024.3
- The conflict between him and the DNC has been ongoing since he tried to challenge Pres. Joe Biden on the Democratic ticket, to which the committee decided not to hold debates, prompting RFK Jr. to run as an independent.4
- Billionaire Timothy Mellon, the top donor who has given $10M to his super PAC, has also donated over $30M to pro-Donald Trump PACs, causing the DNC to wonder if he's trying to use this independent candidacy as a means of siphoning votes from Biden.4
- Democratic narrative, as provided by Raw Story. RFK Jr. is doing everything he can to slip his conspiratorial agenda into the 2024 presidential election. The DNC's recent FEC complaint shouldn't surprise anyone, as he was previously exposed for using campaign funds to pay salaries to family members. It's no wonder he's been accused of colluding with Trump — both of them lie and cheat to get their way.
- Republican narrative, as provided by Straight Arrow News. The Democratic party has become a tyrannical machine of lawyers whose goal isn't to run the best campaign but rather to throw their opponents into so many legal battles that it stops them from running in the first place. They're doing this to an extraordinary level to both RFK Jr. and Donald Trump.